The Commonwealth of Virginia Engineering and Science (COVES) Policy Fellowship
The COVES Fellowship is a 12-week fellowship program of the Virginia Academy of Science, Engineering and Medicine (VASEM). The goal of the COVES Fellowship program is to strengthen ties between the scientific community and state government in the Commonwealth of Virginia, while encouraging and equipping early career scientists and engineers to enter public service. Graduate student and postdoctoral Fellows will serve as science advisors in legislative offices, executive agencies, or prominent companies and nonprofits in the state of Virginia where they will gain experience in the creation and translation of state policies related to science and engineering.
COVES Fellows will be current graduate students or postdoctoral researchers from universities across the Commonwealth of Virginia, selected based on career interests, desire to learn, and scientific integrity. Fellows will be matched to host offices based on mutual interest and placement availability. Prior to the Fellowship, Fellows will attend science communication training and orientation that will provide an introduction to governance and policy-making in the Commonwealth. In addition to their work in policy offices, COVES Fellows will be paired with a mentor from VASEM and will participate in VASEM briefings, committee meetings, and the annual summit.
2021 COVES Fellows will serve from May 17, to August 6, 2021 and receive a $8500 stipend.
PhD Plus is sponsoring one UVA representative to serve as a 2021 COVES Fellow. The University will advance up to three nominees to VASEM for consideration; the COVES Advisory Board will choose one Fellow from UVA's nominees and oversee the orientation, training, and host office placement process. Eligible applicants are current graduate students or postdoctoral researchers from Engineering, Medicine, or Science fields.
The internal application deadline is Friday, March 5.
- Application Form (available here)
- Resume or CV (3-page maximum)
- Recommendations: Please provide contact information (name, email, phone number) for 2 professional references. These can be from academia, industry, or other professional experiences and may be past or present references
- Advisor Letters of Support
- Written letter of support from academic advisor (In application portal, enter the name and email address of your advisor. Upon saving a draft of your application, the system will email your advisor for this letter.)
- Signed Advisor Letter of Support form (available here)
- Personal Statement: In 1 page or less, please address the following:
- Why are you interested in state-level science policy?
- How do you hope the COVES Fellowship will contribute to your career goals?
- What unique skills and experiences would you bring to COVES?
- Any additional points you would like the selection committee to consider
- Science Policy in Virginia: In 1 page or less, please write a summary of a science policy issue of your choice and the implications for the Commonwealth of Virginia. This should be written for a non-technical audience, such as an informed citizen or policy maker
- Diversity Statement: In 250 words or fewer, describe how your identity influences your interest in science policy.
Submit your application HERE.
For more information, please see the 2021 COVES Program Overview and Informational Flyer or visit the Virginia Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine's website describing the COVES Fellowship.