The Future Faculty core module is best suited for all Postdoctoral researchers and PhD students in advanced years of training, collectively called ‘trainees', who are interested in faculty and independent research careers.
Faculty careers across disciplines can be research-intensive, teaching-intensive, and research-teaching focused in a wide variety of academic settings, such a public universities, liberal arts colleges, community colleges, etc. Growing number of Principal Investigator roles for independent research careers are also offered in for-profit and non-profit research institutes.
Therefore, participate in Future Faculty modules to
- Learn about the landscape of faculty careers that align with your values, skills and interests
- Broaden knowledge of the range of responsibilities involved in faculty roles
- Demistify the faculty hiring process in different academic departments and universities
- Build and expand professional community for career research and preparation
- Integrate career development goals into individual development plan
- Develop distinct skills for holistic development in independent research and teaching, with a focused reflection on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
- Reflect and learn about reccommended Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) practices as a future faculty that includes acknowledgment of power
RECOMMENDED PRIOR TRAINING
For optimal learning experience and outcomes, we recommend participation in PhD Plus Career Design prior to this module