The PhD Plus Consulting core module is best suited for PhD students in middle and advanced years of training and all postdoctoral scholars who are interested in consulting careers across diverse sectors (management consulting, healthcare consulting, education consulting, data science consulting, and more). This module is developed and offered in collaboration with Dr. Brendan Boler from the Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy and the Graduate Consulting Club.
- Familiarize trainees with what consultants do in practice
- Provide a sense of the roles and responsibilities of members of a consulting team
- Demystify the networking and case interview process and help trainees gain confidence
- Expand awareness of the broad set of PhD skills and knowledge that are well-suited for Consulting work
- Provide tactical skills necessary for consulting success
- Facilitate improvement of core skills in data analytics using Excel and data-driven storytelling using PowerPoint and storyboarding for consulting
- Provide experience with hypothesis-driven problem-solving approaches, project-based learning and internships
RECOMMENDED PRIOR TRAINING
For optimal learning experience and outcomes, we recommend participation in PhD Plus Career Design prior to this module.
A student-centered engagement strategy for career education and professional development in Consulting (also applicable to all PhD Plus career training core modules). For details, please refer to program philosophy and attend PhD Plus Career Design. Click on menu links for Research, Community and Skills under Consulting to determine specific engagement strategy