Thank you for your interest in connecting with graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Below, you will find resources on scheduling information sessions and hiring/recruiting processes and policies. If you have any questions, please contact Melanie Sinche, Director of Career and Professional Development.
Requesting an Information Session
A great way to connect with graduate students and postdocs/research associates is through hosting an information session. We ask that organizations submit a request at least a month in advance to accommodate the PhD Plus program calendar. To request an information session, please contact Melanie Sinche, Director of Career and Professional Development with the following information:
- Your name and organization information
- Session presenters
- Proposed topic
- Preferred Method: virtual or in-person event
- Possible dates and times
PhD Plus Internship Program
PhD Plus works with both university and external partners to facilitate the PhD Plus Internship Program. Visit the internship information page for more details. Please contact Melanie Sinche, Director of Career and Professional Development to learn more about how your organization can be involved.
If you encounter technical difficulties or have questions throughout the process, please check out the UVA Career Center's Employer FAQ page.
Please contact the following offices if you are interested in recruiting Law candidates, MBA candidates, or UVA Alumni.
Handshake Resources for Employers
- Getting Started With Handshake: Employers
- Virtual Career Fairs: 7 Ways Employers Can Stand Out
- How to Write a Clear and Effective Job Description for Students in 2021
The University of Virginia utilizes The NACE Principles for Third-Party Recruiters. For organizations who wish to post third-party opportunities with the University of Virginia Career Center database, Handshake, the organization must agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Third-party recruiters operate in congruence with the university policy of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, handicap, or national origin. An employer or agency using the services of Career Center understands that compliance with all related federal and state statutes and regulations is required for initiation or continuance of Career Center.
- Third-party recruiters will abide by the PRINCIPLES FOR ETHICAL PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE as described in the NACE Principles for Professional Practice.
- Third-party recruiters must agree to disclose the name of the employer, as well as the position description and contact through which the application materials and credentials will be shared. The client's name should appear in the title of the position to ensure full transparency for the student.
- All positions posted by third-party recruiters without the client name and appropriate contact information will be deleted from the system.
UVA acts only as an intermediary between employers posting job opportunities and candidates searching for part-time employment opportunities. All hiring and compensation for work performed by student employees is handled directly between the student and the employer.
All job and internship postings are posted at the discretion of the UVA Career Center. We do not post jobs that appear to discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, or gender. UVA does not guarantee or take responsibility for the truthfulness or accuracy of employer information, position listings or the hiring, recruiting or other practices of any private employer entity. Students are urged to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting private, off-campus employment.