This series is designed for advanced doctoral students and all Postdocs who are getting ready to transition towards diverse employment opportunities in academic (positions in university offices and units that are not tenure-track or postdoctoral training) and non-academic sectors. This series will NOT include strategies for postdoctoral opportunities and faculty careers.
Both sessions are virtual.
We are postponing this series to later dates and will share the new dates with registrants directly once the dates are confirmed.
Workshop 1: Maximize Your Efforts (Strategies)
November 15 (Tuesday), 3:30-5 PM | via Zoom
In the first session, you will learn about job search strategies, including
- When should you begin your search (timeline)?
- How to identify relevant opportunities, in some cases before the positions are posted, and search for open positions effectively?
- Where should you focus your most energy?
- How to dissect a job description and analyze if it is a good fit or if you are effective in your application materials?
- Why should you network and how to network?
- Level up your LinkedIn profile
Workshop 2: Everything You Need to Know About Resume & Cover Letter
November 17 (Thursday), 3:30-5 PM | via Zoom
In the second session, you will learn more about crafting your sector-specific application materials based on the previous session’s strategies, including:
- Crafting resumes and cover letters to the norms of employment sectors.
- Translating an academic CV into a resume.
- Communicating relevant transferable skills in your cover letter.
Yi Hao, Ph.D. - Assistant Director of Professional Development, Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Affairs
Mallory Neil, Ph.D. - Assistant Director of Experiential Learning, Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Affairs
Please mark your calendar after your registration. We will share the Zoom link and instructional materials with you a few days in advance of the workshops.