The Science Policy Initiative at UVA is a student organization empowering scientists and engineers to be more informed and involved in science policy. The primary goals of the initiative are:
- Enhancing awareness among graduate students in engineering and science disciplines about fellowship and career opportunities in science policy.
- Providing support and resources for graduate students pursuing opportunities in science policy.
- Conducting professional development events to prepare graduate students for careers in science policy.
- Advocating to the university administration for support of graduate students pursuing policy careers.
- Facilitating community outreach events to increase awareness and understanding of scientific research among the community.
In January 2019, the SPI and PhD+ will once again partner to offer a one-week science policy boot camp, devoted to helping students become informed on the broad landscape of science policy careers and the foundational knowledge necessary to succeed in a science policy career. Registration will be announced later in the fall of 2018.