Two opportunities for graduate students to engage in science policy!
AAAS CASE Workshop. Three-day workshop on federal level science policy. Application due Feb 9. Click here for more information.
COVES Fellowship. 12-week fellowship working on science policy issues in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Application due March 2. Click here for more information.
The Science Policy Initiative (SPI) at UVA is a student organization empowering scientists and engineers to be more informed and involved in science policy. The primary goals of the initiative are:
- Enhancing awareness among graduate students in engineering and science disciplines about fellowship and career opportunities in science policy.
- Providing support and resources for graduate students pursuing opportunities in science policy.
- Conducting professional development events to prepare graduate students for careers in science policy.
- Advocating to the university administration for support of graduate students pursuing policy careers.
- Facilitating community outreach events to increase awareness and understanding of scientific research among the community.
From January 6-10, 2020 the SPI and PhD+ partnered to offer a one-week science policy bootcamp. Introducing a fresh format, the bootcamp was designed to help students 1) learn about science policy broadly; 2) practice some fundamential policy skills such as communication, negotiation, and writing policy briefs; and 3) think about avenues to science policy as a career option.
UVA Science Policy Bootcamp 2020
Monday, January 6: Fundamentals of Science Policy
Tuesday, January 7: Communicating with Policymakers Workshop featuring Abby Olena
Wednesday, January 8: Science Policy at the State Level
Thursday, January 9: Science Policy at the International Level
Friday, January 10: Science Policy at the Federal Level, Policy Simulation featuring Mark Bayer of Bayer Strategic Consulting