The Science Policy Initiative (SPI) at UVA is a student organization empowering scientists and engineers to be more informed and involved in science policy. The primary goals of the initiative are:
- Enhancing awareness among graduate students in engineering and science disciplines about fellowship and career opportunities in science policy.
- Providing support and resources for graduate students pursuing opportunities in science policy.
- Conducting professional development events to prepare graduate students for careers in science policy.
- Advocating to the university administration for support of graduate students pursuing policy careers.
- Facilitating community outreach events to increase awareness and understanding of scientific research among the community.
From January 6-10, 2020 the SPI and PhD+ will partner to offer a one-week science policy bootcamp. Introducing a fresh format, the bootcamp is designed to help students 1) learn about science policy broadly; 2) practice some fundamential policy skills such as communication, negotiation, and writing policy briefs; and 3) think about avenues to science policy as a career option. Registration for the bootcamp will be available around October 15, 2019.